Call for Applications for Executive Director of AfHEA
The Board of Trustees of the African Health Economics and Policy Association (AfHEA) hereby invites applications from qualified candidates to apply for the position of Executive Director (ED) of AfHEA. This is a part-time position with a commitment requirement of about 2 days per week (0.4 FTE), sometimes outside normal working hours (evenings and weekends).
Although AfHEA’s head office is located in Accra, Ghana, the ED is not required to be resident in or relocate to Ghana, but can work from elsewhere in Africa with support from a capable staff based in Accra. Kindly note that AfHEA does not make payments for relocation or provide expatriate benefits of any kind.
The Executive Director reports to the Chair of the Board of Trustees and is responsible for providing leadership and direction to the Association including oversight over staff and ensuring efficient use of AfHEA’s resources.
The Executive Director is also the head of the Executive Committee, which together with the Secretariat, is in charge of the day-to-day running of the Association’s affairs. Other members of the Executive Committee include: up to 3 Deputy Directors, Secretary, Assistant Secretary, and Membership Secretary. The Director of Operations and the Finance and Accounting Officer are both ex-officio members of the executive committee.
Main duties and responsibilities of the Executive Director
Strategic guidance, oversight and accountability
- Undertake initiatives and activities pursuant to the aims and objectives of the Association,
- Oversee the execution of the policies and resolutions of the General Assembly as guided by AfHEA’s governance structures
- Guide the design, oversight and accountability of AfHEA’s business strategies, plans and budgets and their approval by the Board
- Assist in setting goals for performance, growth, sustainability and self-sufficiency for the association
- Recommend appointments to the Board of Trustees for any Executive Committee position that becomes vacant, or otherwise as the need arises
- Supervise, directly or indirectly, all other officers of the Association and hold them to account in the performance of their duties through clear performance appraisals and supportive supervision
Resource mobilization and financial management
- Maintain overall responsibility for the financial management and administration of the Association in collaboration with the Director of Operations
- Promote fundraising ventures and build and manage relationships with partners including donors in collaboration with AfHEA board, executive committee and Director of Operations
Oversight and guidance for statutory meetings of AfHEA
- Work with Board of Trustee leadership to prepare for board meetings and attend Board meetings in an ex-officio capacity
- Convene meetings of the Executive Committee on a regular basis
- Oversight for the planning and convening of AfHEA’s Scientific Conferences in collaboration with the Board and designated committees
Strategic Partnerships and external engagements
- Proactively support new and existing strategic partnerships for AfHEA to advance brand visibility in collaboration with the Board, Executive Committee and membership
- Represent the Association externally for any lawful purpose
- Undertake any further tasks that may be assigned by the Board, as may be required
- Advanced degree in Health Economics, Health Policy or relevant field with 10 years+ work experience in Africa.
- Proven experience managing NGO operations, membership associations or other similar roles
- Access to a strong network of health economists and health policy makers across Africa
- Demonstrable proficiency in the underlisted core competencies:
- organizational and leadership abilities,
- strategic planning,
- business development,
- strategic partnerships for common shared values,
- team cohesion,
- clear decision-making and problem-solving, including conflict resolution
- professional integrity and workplace ethics,
- Understanding of business functions such as Human Resource, financial management, marketing etc.
- Track record of successful fundraising activities and resource mobilization with public and private sector entities
- Experience working with Boards of Trustees
- Excellent interpersonal and public speaking skills
- Fluency in English and French is an added advantage.
AfHEA offers a competitive remuneration package, but kindly note that AfHEA does not make payments for relocation or provide expatriate benefits of any kind.
Candidates must submit a curriculum vitae in English or French together with a motivation statement (not more than two pages) clearly stating why they are interested in the position and how they meet the requirements of the candidate profile.
All applications should be sent to the following email address: email@example.com.
The deadline for submission of applications is: November 12, 2021.
The successful candidate is expected to take office on April 1, 2022, but will be required to understudy the outgoing executive director during a transition period not exceeding three months.