Job Opening: Technical Advisor (Priceless SA)
TECHNICAL ADVISOR (Priceless SA)
(Johannesburg, South Africa)
PRICELESS SA, (www.pricelesssa.ac.za) based at Wits University School of Public Health in Johannesburg, is a programme to enable smart decisions about health investments in South Africa. The intent is to provide information that will improve the way in which resources are allocated and priorities are set to improve public health. PRICELESS SA is a core partner of iDSI, leading on activities within South Africa and within Sub-Saharan Africa.
International Decision Support Initiaitve (iDSI) (www.idsihealth.org) is a global network of priority setting institutions, universities, think tanks and individuals that aim to support low and middle income countries with the difficult decisions related to priority setting as they move towards Universal Health Coverage.
The Technical Advisor will be a key member of the PRICELESS team and central to the successful delivery of the International Decision Support Initiative (iDSI) sub-Saharan Africa Programme. Taking a leadership role on a range of activities, the role will involve a strong analytical and research component, but also the ability to communicate effectively with a range of stakeholders in small and large groups, develop strategic recommendations and policy documents and interpret and use complex information.
The post holder will be required to: -
- Develop policy and strategy documents related to Institutionalisation of a Priority Setting Agency and Health Technology Assessment in South Africa
- Lead on the analysis and interpretation of complex data relating to South African and international health system performance and on communicating the results effectively to a domestic and international audience including National Department of Health, foreign policy makers and global donors
- Support senior staff in developing PRICELESS and IDSI strategies, policies and initiatives relating to our technical assistance and consultancy work with national governments (including in South Arica), insurance agencies and donors.
- Publicise, through presentations and peer reviewed and electronic publications the work of PRICELESS and IDSI to the South African and global health policy community
Key skills required include: -
- public policy
- analysis and strategy
- economic evaluation
- synthesis of complex information
- communication and presentation
- leadership / management
- relationship management
Qualifications & experience required includes: -
- Relevent postgraduate qualification (e.g. economics, public health, management, development studies, political science etc.)
- 3 + years in a research facility in a senior capacity
- 8 + years overall work experience
- previous experience in a development consultancy, in health policy and donor-funded programmes in sub-Saharan Africa an advantage
The successful candidate will be enthusiastic, work well in a small team, and will have an interest in health economics, particularly in health technology assessment (HTA)
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Closing Date for Applications: 31 July 2016