DIRECTOR OF OPERATIONS, AfHEA (BASED IN ACCRA, GHANA)
August 27, 2020
The African Health Economics and Policy Association (AfHEA) is a bilingual (English and French) non-political and non-profit-making association inaugurated in March 2009 with headquarters in Accra, Ghana. The overall mission of AfHEA is to contribute to the promotion and strengthening of the use of health economics and health policy analysis in achieving equitable and efficient health systems and improved health outcomes in Africa, especially for the most vulnerable populations. Its membership includes over 300 health economics, financing and policy experts from African countries residing within and outside the continent (www.afhea.org)
GENERAL POSITION DESCRIPTION
The Director of Operations (equivalent to a Chief Operations Officer or COO) will have overall responsibility to plan, direct, and oversee AfHEA’s operational policies, rules, initiatives, and goals; help the organisation execute long-term and short-term plans and work alongside the Executive Director (ED)/CEO to put procedures in place as well as raise and allocate resources to realize AfHEA’s vision and mission. Reports to the ED and attends board meetings as requested.
PRIMARY DUTIES INCLUDE
- Design and implement AfHEA’s business strategies, plans and procedures
- Set comprehensive goals for performance, sustainability, self-sufficiency and growth
- Oversee communications and engagement with AfHEA membership to ensure a growing and active body
- Oversee daily operations of AfHEA and the management of core staff (IT, Marketing, HR, Finance, Accounting etc.)
- Recruit skilled talent, and supervise and mentor staff to achieve maximum performance and potentials
- Lead annual and other (eg. quarterly or activity) budget development and also efficiently and effectively monitor expenditure in accordance with AfHEA’s budget approval and its rules and procedures.
- Evaluate performance of AfHEA`s operations by analysing and interpreting data and metrics
- Develop and finalize progress reports for donor organisations to the ED on all matters of importance
- Assist ED in fundraising ventures and in managing relationships with partners
- Promote communication between colleagues for the benefit of information flow and to curb any problems that arise
- Attend board meetings upon request to present and discuss areas related to the work of the Director.
- Proven experience running NGO operations or other relevant role
- Understanding of business functions such as HR, Finance, marketing etc.
- Demonstrable competency in strategic planning and business development
- Experience in developing and implementing a sustainability plan that includes fundraising, consultancy work and member participation
- Working knowledge of data analysis and performance/operation metrics
- Working knowledge of IT/Business infrastructure and common business software
- Outstanding organizational and leadership abilities
- Familiarity and experience working with development partners
- Aptitude in decision-making and problem-solving
- MSc/MBA in Business Administration or relevant field with 5 years+ experience.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
The position will be based in Accra, Ghana. Salary terms and conditions are negotiable but AfHEA does not make payments for relocation or provide expatriate benefits of any kind.
Deadline for Application is September 30, 2020.